Sunday, November 23, 2008

Museum Madness-Holiday Happiness

Okay, before I begin telling you about our adventures this week, I just have to comment on the gas prices....INSANE!!! I know gas prices have dropped significantly everywhere due to the lovely economy, but I remember paying $4.67 a gallon the day we left California...now I can fill my SUV up for 22 dollars...CRAZY!!! I can't remember the last time gas was in the $1.60's...Can you???Okay, so a while back I sent out an e-mail to some of you about the "Learning Packets" I made for my ESL students making an article in the IndyStar newspaper...After spending a couple hundred dollars out of my pocket, I got smart and decided to write a grant to fund this intervention...Writing a grant is such a PAIN!!! I felt like I was back in college writing a term paper...it ended up being 12 pages typed...I turned it in about a month ago, and have been waiting anxiously to see if it would be approved. On Friday, at the end of the work day, I found out the good news!!! Yay!!!
I was awarded 500 dollars to continue the funding of the "Learning Packets" I have created. Below is a picture of me, my co-worker Regina (she applied for a grant too) and a representative from the foundation who awarded us the monies.

On Saturday, Ryan and I went to the Indianapolis Children's Museum...I know, I know- as if we aren't around kiddos enough!!!It was FREEZING!!!! This past week, we had the pleasure of experiencing weather in the teens...Not too bad if you have on the right clothing- MISERABLE if you are not prepared. We had to take a trip to Meijer to buy some extra winter essentials- a winter coat and gloves for Ryan, and extra scarves and ear-warmers for yours truly. Black trench coat look familiar??? It is the one I bought at Goodwill for 10 bucks- STINGY CHICK ROCKS!!!
Ryan was tougher than the wifey- he left his new, warmer jacket in the car.
Here is the entryway of the museum...The snowflakes made it feel like a "Winter Wonderland!"The museum had TONS of exhibits...this one was on Comic Book Heroes-

Heroes in a Half-Shell...TURTLE POWER!!!! Who was your favorite Ninja Turtle? I liked Leonardo because he had the blue headband...Ryan liked Donatello, because his weapon of choice was the staff. I know, we are DORKS!!!

There was an awesome glass sculpture running through all four stories of the museum- SPECTACULAR!!!Another cool exhibit was "The Power of Children: Making a Difference." The focus was on 3 children- Anne Frank (Holocaust Victim), Ryan White (Indiana boy discriminated against after being diagnosed with AIDS) and Ruby Bridges (first African-American to attend an all white school in the South). The Ruby Bridges section focused a lot on "Brown vs. Board of Education." Imagine our surprise when we found several artifacts pertaining to Crispus Attucks- the high school Ryan teaches at.

The high school Ryan works at has been around since the 1920's. It has a ton of history...Crispus Attucks used to be an "all black" high school until segregation was abolished. It really is an eye-opener to connect a significant moment in history to the halls of your workplace.
The United States is slowly, but surely paving the way for all of its people, but it is important to always be mindful of these injustices to so that they never happen again.

We also had to make a stop at what else???? The ScienceWorks exhibit!!!Here is Ryan standing in front of a "water clock." It was made out of glass, but ran on water!!!
Oh, and of course, Ryan had to play with the pulley...
We stopped in the Dow Center to participate in a make-and-take experiment...

I know you are DYING to know what we made!!! Drum roll please......TA-DA-non-toxic window cleaner!!! (I know, not that exciting- we were disappointed too).

Something that did not disappoint was the dinosaur exhibit. Awesome!!!!The museum was getting ready for Christmas- Santa makes his first appearance on the 28th of November!!!
On our way home from church this morning, we drove through downtown Noblesville, and holiday decor made its debut...
I love it- small town charm and Christmas cheer!!!

I got all excited and begged Ryan to let me put up our Christmas decorations too...Of course he said, "NO!!! You weirdo, it is not even Thanksgiving yet!"

I have to stick to the original plan of the day after Thanksgiving (which is still too early for Ryan, but I have to draw the line somewhere!!!!) My Christmas decorations sit in the spare room closet calling my name...."Brooke....Oh, Brooke!!!"
I am so excited!!! Maybe we will actually get to experience a "White Christmas" this year!!! How cool would that be? Oh, if any of you were curious- still no snow. Two days of flurries, but nothing stuck!!! It has been chilly, but don't worry, I have my man to keep me warm. :)We stopped by the grocery store today to pick up all our goodies for Thursday! It will be the first Thanksgiving dinner I have ever made all by myself!!! Say a prayer- those that know me well, know what a fantastic cook I am (NOT!!!). Oh well, at least the turkey will be yummy- Ryan is in charge of that!

Our friend Steve, and my co-worker Alissa and her son Tyler will be joining us. Aunt Karen, I am going to make your homemade mac and cheese as one of the sides- I will do my best to make you proud!!!
We love and miss all of you! Have a blessed Thanksgiving!!!!!
Until next time...xo

5 comments:

Brent and Holly said...

oh I can't wait for our weather to get cool here in CA. Happy Thanksgiving to you both! Only six more days until Brent will be home with us.....not in time for Thanksgiving though - oh well! Talk to the two of you soon. HUGS

Amy said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you both!!!
It looks like you have all the ingredients for a perfect Thanksgiving feast!!!!

Erin said...

Good luck cooking missy!!! You are waaaaaaaay ahead of me...we haven't even planned our menu yet!!

Ryan is right by the way, it is TOO EARLY for Christmas decor at the casa.

I am really really really missing my best friends. Find me a cheap weekend yet?

All my love!

Trisha's Blog said...

Can we come over for Thanksgiving dinner?!?! Miss you Brooke!

Natalie said...

I love that Indianapolis Children's Museum. It's beautiful. You are so talented Brooke. I think your school class is lucky to have such a creative teacher.

We love you both! Looks like you're taking good care of Ryan. You both look great.