Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunshine and Sorrow

This week has been a long one.... Ryan and I found out our friend lost his battle with brain cancer last Sunday. I have been in constant pain both mentally and physically thinking about the loss of our friend and trying to recover from last week's tooth extraction. My mouth is okay while I'm at work, but as soon as I get an opportunity to have some down time, my mouth throbs NON-STOP. Ryan is very busy with school work and we are both starting to prepare for the end of the school year.... OVERWHELMED would be an understatement to say the least-

I know that weeks like these are a part of life and that we will get through them, but I would give anything to be in California right now so that I could be surrounded by my friends and family!!!

This Saturday was my sister-in-law Erin's 27th birthday. Erin, we love you very much and hope you had a very happy birthday!!! We can't wait to see you this summer! Erin is graduating from a LVN program this July and we are very proud of her!!!
Do you notice anything (besides my big pile of laundry and funky hair-do)???? I am in SHORTS!!!!! That's right folks, 80 degree weather has arrived! We actually have our windows open and are enjoying the fresh air and warmth. :)
On Friday night, we hung out with our neighbors into the wee hours of the night enjoying the balmy weather. Here are Ryan and Liz playing cornhole. The house next door to them is almost complete! Only 11 more empty lots in our subdivision; it is filling up quickly...
Here are Eric and Zach taking their turn...
The sunset that evening was AMAZING! Check it out!!!
On Saturday, we forced ourselves to go to the library. Ryan has two HUGE projects due in his credential classes and working at home does NOT happen....TOO MANY DISTRACTIONS!!! I took some pics on the drive over to show you more of our town....
These pics are from the Historic District...If you frequent my BLOG, I'm sure you have figured out by now that this is my favorite commercial area of our community. Sure there is a lot of new development that is impressive, but the older, maintained shops are what I adore.

Here are some more pics of "Midwest Spring" for you to enjoy. I never knew trees came in so many COLORS...


Here is Ryan hard at work at the library...Here is Brooke hard at work at the library helping Ryan.... NOT FUN-- I was having flashbacks of college and papers and deadlines and sleepless nights and stress and.....

I suppose sacrificing my Sunny Saturday was worth it...

I love this guy soooo much!!! He procrastinates like NOBODY'S BUSINESS, but I wouldn't expect anything less from him....heehee :)

I had to show you the bottom floor of our library....it is called the "Kids Zone" and has a HUGE saltwater aquarium running through it.....pretty neat, huh?After spending 5 hours at the library, we decided to take a break and spend some time with the doggies....Look- our grass is almost all the way back to normal!

Last week, our association planted a total of 5 trees around the perimeter of our house!!!! We are soooooo thrilled and can't wait for them to get big and green!!! Lovely, lovely!!!

They also added 2 white flowering trees to the common area across the street.
And don't forget the Evergreens....
Here is Sammy relaxing in the SUNSHINE :)
Frodie and his headless owner playing a game of fetch....
Taking a break :)
Two happy guys on the front porch...
Sitting on the porch enjoying the view...If you thought Friday's sunset was picturesque, check out the sunset from Saturday.
As I mentioned earlier, our dear friend Ryan passed away last Sunday. He was a loving husband to our friend Mindi, devoted father to two small children, influential teacher and friend to so many. He had an infectious personality...so fun-loving and genuine. We will never forget the memories we all shared together- Bunco, Havasu, Hanging out at each other's houses, Meagan's Wedding....
We will miss you so much, but we know you are in Heaven now and free from all pain.
I was talking to my Grandma Helen about him and I asked her why? Why does someone so young have to have their life end so soon? She told me that God has a plan for all of us- God wanted him to come home- that we will all come home one day and although his wife and children may not know it now, Ryan will be guiding and watching over them for the rest of their time on Earth....
R.I.P.
Ryan Day
January 11, 1971- April 19, 2009
Mindi, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May God Bless you with strength during this very difficult time. We love you.
Until next time....xo

4 comments:

Erin said...

Rest in Peace Ryan Day...

And I hope your mouth heals soon Brookie...that sounds agonizing.

And BTW, you look skinny and your hair looks good (I like the color).

Gotta go lay down, I just got back from Stagecoach and ate 3 pieces of cake. Ugh.

XOXO

JENN said...

I am SO sorry for your loss. I imagine it has been a rough couple of days. When ever we lose someone close to us, so many things run through our minds and I am glad you have such great support to help you through it.

You look really good! I love that you are wearing shorts! That means our weather is warming up...lol
Its been in the 70's and 80's here too, so nice. I am hoping it stays this way.
Im sorry about your mouth, I hate the dentist too :(
I love the pictures!!! I am so bummed my camera isnt downloading, but I am taking pictures here too anyway and will post them soon.
I hope you have a great week and it is less stressful!
Love lots to you

Kelly said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I hope you have a better next week, and God bless his family...I can only imagine the pain they feel. So sad!
I know we say this all the time, but you and Ryan, and John and I are SOOO much the same! We go to the library too to work. I agree - staying at home has way too many distractions!
I love all your pictures - and especially the tree line streets...I always wanted to live on a street that is lined with trees...so beautiful. It also reminds me of the movie Father of the Bride with Steve Martin...I LOVE that house! LOL

Amy said...

I'm SO sorry about your tooth and your friend Ryan. That is so hard when that happens to someone so young with a family.

I too have HORRIBLE teeth and HATE the dentist...I will be in your spot before I know it. We don't have dental insurance right now and I am SCARED!!!!

Beautiful pics as always and I'm so happy that it is warming up out there.