Saturday, June 27, 2009

Carmel, Canoeing and Cooling Off

Well in less than a week we will be back in Cali! We are REALLY looking forward to spending time with our friends and family. Ryan and I wonder if it will feel different when we are out there...we have gotten so used to our surroundings here...
Cotton candy sky...I have photographed BEAUTIFUL sunsets before, but in my opinion, this one takes the cake!!!On Thursday, we left our town... and headed to the neighboring city of Carmel to check out the Art and Design District!The entire street is lined with antique stores, art galleries, restaurants, coffee shops- you name it... Ryan found and purchased this book at one of the antique stores. It is a 1940 original print. He was really excited because he has heard this book referenced in several of the physics courses he has taken throughout the years...We stopped for lunch at Shapiro's Deli. This is my Grandma Helen's FAVORITE place. She lived in Indy for 2 years in the 80's... She always RAVES about the rye bread. Every time I go to Shapiro's I think of her ;)Mmmmmmm pastrami!!! I DESPERATELY wanted to join my partner in crime on the carb train, but I am still sticking with South Beach...I think Ryan has officially thrown in the towel!The Art District is really pretty. Several of the shops are set up in town-house style buildings.Hanging flower baskets line the street...There are sculptures everywhere!!! This is the new man in my life...LOLThis one is my favorite. Isn't it adorable? I have this pic printed on one of my purses...
Ryan was having a little fun with the statue. Sooooo silly!It was a beautiful day!We love going out and exploring our surroundings! It is so fun to check out different locations.As we were walking, we discovered this bug. It was GIANT! This picture doesn't do it justice- Ryan is a size 13 shoe if that helps put things into perspective... On the drive home I was admiring the trees. I am still in awe- I can't believe how many there are...On Friday, we decided to go canoeing!The White River is only about 5 minutes from our house. It runs all through Indiana.
We rented a canoe for the day- the van drove us and our canoe a few miles up river. Here is a pic just before we set out on our adventure :)and off we go...The river bank is lined with trees...many of the roots were exposed- it looked really neat!Ryan was pumped about our little excursion...We saw several animals- see the family of geese???We stopped near Potter's Bridge to have lunch. Do you see it in the background?Being outdoors with my honey is my favorite thing :)After lunch we were ready for some serious paddling...We ran into a turtle....actually several- we saw about ten or so!!!Trees for days and days...Row, row, row your boat...
We saw a family of ducks along the way... A dam...and of course...an eager beaver :) This dragonfly kept me company some of the way... We had the best trip...we can't wait to go again!!! On Saturday, our friends Lisa and Steave had a housewarming party. They are the newest addition to our neighborhood. They live one door down from us. We were so happy to have some friends on our street...all our other friends live on the cul-de-sac behind us! The boys decided to throw some corn. Here is Sabrina, Brian and Zach. Ryan and Eric- as you can see there are still a few lots left... Me and Sabrina :) Ryan and Zach...aka the "Green Team" Scuba Steave :) Brian and Eric...aka the "Orange Team" Me and Liz Becks :)After hanging outside into the wee hours of the night, we all hung out in Lisa and Steave's loft and played some SERIOUS Rockband! It was a blast...you know it is everyone's secret dream to be a rock star...heehee :)Even Ryan got in on the singing action..and drumming too... Apparently it was past Eric's bedtime. I think he was having a little too much fun! ;)On Sunday, we all went to the pool to catch some rays. Here are me and Lisa soakin' up the sunshine... Ryan, Steave, and Lisa cooling off... We hope everyone is enjoying their summer! Can't wait to catch up with all our friends and family on the West Coast!!!! Until next time...xo

2 comments:

Kellie said...

That canoeing trip looked SO beautiful! I love all the little towns they have there in Indy. So beautiful there!

Lindsay said...

I LOVE the pic of Ryan punching the old lady!!!
The art district looks so cute, like a city out of a movie!
Wish we had a community pool! U lucky ducks!